Home > ZHPS Experience > Science
Goals of Science Education
- Enthuse and nurture all students to be scientifically literate, so that they are able to make informed decisions and take responsible actions in their daily lives; and
- Provide strong Science fundamentals for students to innovate and pursue STEM for future learning and work.
Vision of Science Education
- Inspired by Science. Students enjoy learning Science, and are fascinated by how everyday phenomena have scientific connections and how Science helps solve many of our global challenges. They regard Science as relevant and meaningful, and appreciate how Science and Technology have transformed the world and improved our lives.
- Inquire like Scientists. Students have strong fundamentals in Science, and possess the spirit of scientific inquiry. They are able to engage confidently in the Practices of Science, grounded in the knowledge, issues and questions that relate to the roles played by Science in daily life, society and the environment.
- Innovate using Science. Students apply Science to generate creative solutions to solve real-world problems, ranging from those affecting everyday lives to complex problems affecting humanity.
Inquiry Based Learning
Science in Zhenghua Primary is taught using the Inquiry approach.
In inquiry-based learning, teachers engage the students through a problem, question or narrative.
Students are then involved in hands-on activities to make observations and collect evidence to support their claims.
Teachers are facilitators who help pupils make connections and build their understanding of scientific concepts.
P4 students observing the concept of air occupying space
P3 students asking questions about the living things in the gardens
P6 students collecting data during investigations
P5 students sharing their findings to the classmates
P5 STEM Day 2021
The P5 STEM Programme is the flagship programme in our Science Curriculum.
It seeks to nurture future ready learners and aims to help our students learn to
- show concern on the need to conserve energy usage in our everyday life - through making a prototype energy-saving light circuit that responds to ambient light
- code a Micro:bit to operate LED bulbs attached to a model house - Infusion of STEM activities into our curriculum
Students applying their understanding of circuits in the STEM activity
Students working in teams to design their products.